Tonight is one of those nights where the night owl in me is left to sit alone with my thoughts. Everyone else is asleep, so the house is silent and dark. While I know that this is ideal for most people, I find it to be the hardest part of the day. When the house falls dormant, I end up alone for about 5 hours. 5 hours of solitude is awful when you're me. Ever have that feeling of time dragging on forever when you are bored? That's how my brain operates when I'm alone. So I sit and think for what feels like hours. So in the spirit of sharing my solitude, I'll express the current thought that is taking up so much of my cranial capacity today.
Yesterday, I sat in a bar with friends and watched three different sporting events at the same time. At the same time, I was having a conversation with a woman over Twitter. It was interesting to feel like I was connecting and hanging out with a friend in the room. My friends and I laughed and joked at the bar, while my friend and I chatted and joked over a social network. The expansion of the human experience through technology was an amazing experience for me. I have always been a technophile, so being able to connect with the world around me really excited the extrovert in me.
Which of course got me to begin thinking about the extrovert that I am. I'm very insular. I keep my cards close to the chest and I'm very analytical about when I can utilize that information to an advantage. This is one of those nurtured behaviors, as I was taught very early about the power that knowledge and information can give to someone. Yet despite this teaching, I crave the social circle. Being within a group is not nearly enough however. I want to know everything and meet everyone. I suppose that I enjoy the thrill of people. Not necessarily the approval or acceptance, but the experience of meeting them. Of hearing their stories and experiences. The thrill of finding similarities and the challenge of approaching the differences. The extrovert and knowledge gatherer within me crave these elements of the human experience.
This is why I would love to see mankind gain a form of telepathy. Not because I want to read the private thoughts of those around me (Though that would be an interesting experience, if maybe not a bit too revealing!), but so that we can share the emotions and feelings we have along side the words that we use. Imagine listening to a story of how two people meet and feel in love. Imagine if you could feel the passion of that first meeting. Imagine feeling the nervous glances and second thoughts that they had when they worked up the courage to start a relationship. The feel of the emotion when they felt that spark of emotion between them. Our imagine that stereotypical fight between a husband and wife where the woman claims nothing is wrong. Wouldn't it be nice if the husband was able to feel the hurt and anger that she is hiding within her heart? Imagine if he was able to gain just a small bit of insight into why she is upset. Imagine if she was able to feel his genuine concern when he asks what is wrong. I find the thought of being able to connect with others not only on an intellectual level or physical level, but on a mental, emotional, and spiritual level an amazing thought. Words are an excellent means of expressing thoughts and emotions, but sometimes you feel something that you can't accurately describe with the written word.
Anyway, I am enjoying the human experience and I have been absolutely blessed to have amazing people in my life. The family and friends I have allow me to look at all the stories and experiences that I get to be a part of, which is an exciting and humbling thought. The friend that I have business plans with, the friends that share their crazy stories, the family that I created so many cherished memories with, and the family I get to create memories with now..... I'm truly honored. Which is why I also want to do for others this year as well. So, I'll be making sure that I take the opportunities for such activities when I'm able to from now on. Anyway, enough ruminating for one evening.
Until next time, dear reader.
Very insightful!
ReplyDelete