Today is the day that we in America have decided to recognize Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. for all that he did during the Civil Rights Era. It is remarkable to look back and see that in such a short time, we have moved from legalized and institutionalized segregation, to having an African-American sit as the elected leader of our Government. It is a humbling and sobering thought.
One of the things that actually makes me join in the celebration of the man is that he utilized diplomacy when he realistically had no leverage. He utilized the love of the fellow man to grow public support and ultimately lost his life trying to pursue the notion of equality for all, regardless of race or belief system. Who we are as people should determine our worth, not the melanin levels within our skin.
While I was not always a believer in peaceful means being effective, I have since learned the error of that style of thinking. This change in thinking was what lead me to appreciate Malcolm X as a whole person. His initial story and message was one that matched my fledgling beliefs of equality. As he grew and learned from others, as I did, he learned the value of true racial equality. Many times I have to remember that not others have had the "transformative" moments yet, and so they may still be ignorant (I'm looking on the bright side and hoping that they aren't just hateful).
Anyway, I've rambled on enough about this stuff. In summation, Happy Belated Birthday, MLK, Jr. Thank you for your lessons and legacy.
Until next time, dear reader.
No comments:
Post a Comment