Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Through The Looking Glass

I am a night owl by nature, so I like to catch the late night programming on PBS before I retire for the night. The special on last night was one that hit close to home: The Abolitionists: American Experience. Being African-American, I was very into the history and stories of slavery. Partially because it gave me incentive to live my life as successfully as possible, but also because I wanted to see how a human being could possibly feel that slavery was justified. This episode focused specifically on Frederick Douglas and his run to freedom and the subsequent assistance that he provided to the abolitionist movement.

Watching the story of torture and abuse and how common it was really brought home how inhumane the experience was for all involved. Seeing human beings in photographs with more affection being shown for the family dog was heart wrenching. It was even more awful to see a Master vow to hunt down his slave and teach him a lesson, despite the fact that he was now a successful author and well known across the United States. When they told of the transformative escape that he made to England, my heart hurt even more because he had an experience that I don't even have now in 2013. He was entirely free of racism.

That single bit of the episode really brought home how far that we have come as a society, but also how far we have to go as well. For the most part, I am not judged by my race. I can walk into almost any business and be viewed as a viable customer, however that is not every business. Lastly, I have friends that cover a wide swath of different races, cultures, and belief systems and we all consider each other equals. We have certainly made progress and I look forward to seeing the world that my children and grandchildren will live in.

History teaches us a great deal, but gazing through the looking glass of time certainly allows us to gain an appreciation for the lessons and stewardship that those before us displayed on my behalf.

Until next time, dear reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment