I've been on vacation from work for the last two weeks. So I have been spending my evenings watching movies that I've wanted to see but never made the time to view. They have largely been movies based upon existing literature, so I've gone into the movies with the assumption that they will not be as good as the book (They rarely are, but it's a difficult medium to translate). This assumption, as it turns out, allowed me to enjoy the movies more than I would have.
I find that comic books have a late amount of back story, which can be difficult for new comic fans and is why Marvel and DC are constantly having "events" that reestablish their continuity. This back story means that a movie has a lot to work with, in my opinion anyway. Which is why the comic need in me is so distraught when it is all discarded for a Hollywood script. If you'd like an example of how distraught, engage me about Spider-man 3 sometime. (Probably a bad idea actually.) Anyway, I need to get back to my point.
Watching The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey was more enjoyable because I didn't utilize the book as the measuring tool, but instead utilized the movie itself. The critic in me was divided into the book fan and the standard moviegoer. The book fan was able to see where the book was cut and how it may have improved or detracted from the movie. It was an interesting thought and viewing experiment. The critic in me evolves.
Until next time, dear reader.
No comments:
Post a Comment