Well after l little over a year, I have finally returned to this page!
I certainly apologize about the lapse in updates! Life happens and I failed to make the time. But I am back and I figured I would retool the theme of the blog.
While I like the ability to use it as a sounding board for any of the various thoughts or ideas that come to me, I figure that it can also be a place for me to fill with all of the hobby items that I get myself into. Which brings me to the rest of this post. Today's theme item, and it's likely to be a recurring one, is costuming and/or cosplay.
While the two are not interchangeable terminologies, they do tend to operate within similar circles of influence. Case in point, the group that I have become a part of, KCCP or
KC Cosplay and Photography, is filled with a myriad of costumers, photographers, fabricators, and cosplayers. The generic term of cosplay does not denote everyone, certainly. But it is a fairly recognizable word among those of us nerdy enough to enjoy the hobby. Costumed Roleplay, where cosplay is derived, allows an individual to inhabit and bring to life the character that they portray. This one is big for me particularly because I love theatrics and I enjoy providing that entertainment for others. To further those goals, I enjoy doing community outreach, particularly when I have a reason to dress up, because it allows me to not only give back to the community that I live within, but also to provide that wonder and fascination that many of us remember as kids.
I remember going to Disney as a kid and the first time I got to meet Mickey Mouse face to face. Now this Mickey couldn't talk or do too much that would allow me to interact with them, largely to maintain the mystery, but it was still a magical experience for the little kid version of me. I still can fondly remember the experience, decades after this took place. So why would I not want to provide the same experience to those around me? I can give back to my community, through a donation of something as simple as my time, AND provide a memorable experience for myself and others? Sign me up. So I did. Which brings me to this past weekend.
I was fortunate enough to be a part of the previously mentioned group, who was fortunate enough to be invited to provide a bit of entertainment for children, and their families, who had recently graduated from the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). The event took place at
Paradise Park, which is an indoor facility with a number of activities, arcades, and areas for children and families to have some fun. The event was put on by
Hand To Hold, an organization that is dedicated to providing care and support for children after they have left the NICU, as these children still have an uphill fight to grow healthy and strong. Hand to Hold had an area of Paradise Park set aside for a number of activities and playrooms that the children could freely move between and the event was Super Hero themed. The idea was to ensure these children knew that they were awesome warriors that have a lot of fight to give! That may just be my take on the message anyway....
Anyway, to facilitate this message, why not have some actual super heroes on hand?! Thus, KCCP on the job.
 |
| The heroes have arrived! |
After the arrival, we were shown the area and it was time to go an interact with some kids. As the Green Lantern in the picture, I was recognizable enough to get a few kids that wanted to talk to me or get high fives, fist bumps, or a hug in a few cases. It was a tremendously gratifying experience. While I loved seeing the smiles and excitement for "Green Lantern!!!" to be there, it was so very inspiring to see the support network in place for these kids. Hand to Hold provided not only a great time to celebrate a wonderful occasion, they also provide a means for families to know where to turn if they are struggling to find the care that a child might need. Healing doesn't end at the hospital after all!
Anyway, if you want to check them out and possibly donate to their cause, feel free.
Here is the link. More pictures of the event after the jump!
Until next time, dear reader!
 |
| Stopping a robbery in action! |
 |
| Returning the stolen loot! |
 |
| Heroes in the kitchen! |
 |
| Lanterns want cookies too! |
 |
| Was this young heroine hogging all of the cookies?! |
 |
| Serious hero photo |
 |
| Silly hero photo |
 |
| Heroes helping in the kitchen |
 |
| Meeting a future Green Lantern Corpsmen |
 |
| Practicing his future pose |
No comments:
Post a Comment