Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Blah Report

Today isn't a very interesting day here on the blog. Today's entry mostly consists of the various things that come to mind while hooked up to "Laughing Gas" at the dentist's office.

I'll start by saying that those who know me and my metabolism, will likely know how this story goes. For those who are unfamiliar, I metabolize things very quickly. So it takes some effort to get drunk, high, or otherwise influenced by substances. This is of course aided by my vain love of self and the refusal to be anything but myself of course. (I'm not too proud to admit my faults. I'm a vain man when I want to be.) Anyway, this makes the trip to a dentist a terrible time. In my youth, I wasn't aware of my "talent" for resistance, so I never thought to ask doctors or dentists to "pump up the volume" when giving me medicine. This means that I ended up in a lot of pain sometimes, because the numbing medication had ZERO effect.

So now I make it a point to ensure they understand this. So they gassed me in order to overcome my nervousness during today's visit. But guess what? The other part of my gift showed up! The part that develops immunities! Since I've been gassed two previous times, my body was able to cut through the BS and go straight to just fine. Yay me! So that meant I had to distract myself while they shot me up with lots of numbing medication (8 times!).

This encounter, combined with a renewed interest in media that discusses genetic engineering and super soldiers, made me realize that if there ever was a real program like that, they should get a copy of whatever that gene is within me. I could only image the type of resistance that gene could develop if "unfettered". Could you imagine what would happen if science made a person capable of developing immunities to chemical processes? Vital attacks, germ warfare, and biological terrorism being completely worthless, because of an autoimmune response against these attacks.

Then again, the person would never be capable of having any type of humane medical procedure. Immunity to painkillers? Immunity to anesthesia? That super soldier better come with an off/on switch to their pain, because let me tell you, there is nothing so awkwardly damaging as being awake during a surgical procedure. Even if you aren't capable of feeling any pain at the time, being awake while things are broken and cut takes on a while new perspective when you are the one being broken and cut.

Of course, while the dentist I visited is a great office with nice staff, they have the rooms set up in a manner that really messed with my head. The nice comfy chair faces the one way window, so you get to people watch with impunity. However, once the chair is leaned back, as is often the case in a dental office, the cars that pass by are merely glimmers that show up out of the lower peripheral, while the sun reflects off them and creates a reflection in the upper peripheral. So now you have the feeling of lots of people walking in the room. Which is compounded by the fact that the entryways into the room are behind the big chair, so anyone entering the room comes from behind you unannounced.

Needless to say, my own mental issues made it impossible to ever get to the laughing stage of the day. So scientists, get to work on building that super soldier. Brain, get to work on being less paranoid. Reader, thanks for reading through my strange mental process.

Until next time, dear reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment