Saturday, February 16, 2013

Belated Thoughts For A Corporate Holiday

I meant to write this post yesterday, but I had some emergency visits to the doctor and dentist. Everything is all resolved and I'm happy and healthy, so no need to worry!

Anyway, I wanted to write this the day after Valentine's Day in order to avoid any feelings of elation or detection associated with the day. I understand the feelings that people have either way, but Ihave my own thoughts on the day as well.

I personally have always loved Valentine's Day. Even when I've been alone, the holiday was always one of pouring out love to those you care about. While I know that I tell my wife and kids that I love them everyday, it is nice to make an occasion to commemorate that feeling. I mean, it is great to feel loved and to have the feeling commemorated. It positively reinforces the feelings we already have, while ensuring that there is a good memory associated with it.

An interesting observation that was pointed out to me is that people feel that Valentine's Day is a Hallmark holiday. The roots of the holiday existed well before the company did, and celebrations for love certainly did. The Ancient Greeks had multiple different words for love. The love that I have for my mother is different than the love that I have for my wife, which is different from the love that I have for my friends. Taking a day to only celebrate one of these types of love seems like a missed opportunity to me. So I like to take Valentine's to move away from the courtship rituals and instead commemorate the love that I have for each and every one of you.

The greatest gift that you can give on Valentine's Day, in my opinion, is the gift of your love. Love binds us together and compels us to be our best for one another. So next year, if you find yourself spending the day alone, remember that there is someone out there that loves you. Even if it is just some person on the internet.

Until next time, dear reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment