Monday, March 18, 2013

Creative Problems

Hello! Welcome to another view into the strangeness that is my mind.

Today has had my mind on fire with different ideas and concepts. This is normally not a bad thing, because it gives me cool concepts for future stories. However, I am surrounded by amazingly talented people. These people fuel that creative fire and push me to express the crazy ideas I come up with. In allowing me to indulge the creative centers of my mind, they drive me to find myself creating places, characters, and events that can sometimes distract from more practical matters. This is especially true because my friends and I are consummate critics with a fondness for nuances characters.

As a result, the characters that I create must be layered and flawed. They have to have a history that explains their motivations and reasoning. Without these elements, they're just straw men in my mind. Of course, I'm a sci-fi junkie, so my stories tend to lean more in that direction. Yet I find it's the grounding in realism that makes me enjoy the creative process so much. Studying history and then twisting the outcomes of battles and wars in order to create my own flow of events is interesting to me. It is probably the reason that I get so lost within books (Which my family could tell you some tales about). The world and the characters are the catalyst for my own creative engine.

With the advanced reader's copies that I have received, it makes the desire to devour those books even greater. Getting to enjoy a book in its "raw" form is a treat for my inner editor. Especially as the themes have been ones that I've really enjoyed. I might do some reviews for those at a later time. They've certainly asked me to learn about some authors and book series that I am now looking forward to reading.

Anyway, I'm off to try and put some of these ideas to paper. It makes the fleshing out process so much more enjoyable. So this bookworm is hoping you have a great day!

Until next time, dear reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment